Posts for: March, 2016
Massage therapy is very effective at reducing muscle pain, but it offers many other other important benefits. Glen Ellyn, IL chiropractors, Dr. Mark Wesely and Dr. Michelle Wesely of Wesely Family Chiropractic PC, explain how this popular healing art can help you.
How does massage therapy work?
Massages don't just relax stiff muscles. During a massage, your lymph and blood circulation also improves. Better circulation means that it's easier for oxygen and nutrients to reach muscle cells. When your circulation system works more efficiently, it's easier to get rid of waste products and excess fluids. Improving lymph circulation can even play a role in boosting your body's immune system response. Massage also triggers the release of natural pain killers called endorphins. When you're muscles are relaxed, pressure on nearby nerves, ligaments and tendons eases, which helps decrease pain and inflammation in muscles, tissues and organs.
How can massage therapy help me?
Massage offers numerous benefits. It can:
- Increase the flexibility of your joints
- Reduce muscle tension and stiffness
- Balance your walking gait
- Improve range of motion
- Promote healing
- Reduce pain from headaches, including migraines
- Improve lung function and breathing
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce scar tissue and adhesions after surgery
- Improve sleep, increase energy and reduce fatigue
- Help manage the symptoms of chronic diseases and conditions, including fibromyalgia, asthma, allergies and osteoarthritis
- Reduce lower back pain
- Relieve menstrual symptoms
- Help cancer patients handle treatment side effects
Stress reduction benefits of massage therapy in Glen Ellyn
It's hard not to feel relaxed when you have a massage. As your muscles loosen, you begin to experience the relaxation response. When this occurs, the production of stress hormones decreases while serotonin production increases. Serotonin is a brain chemical that helps regulate your mood and improves your sense of well being. Stress reduction isn't the only emotional benefit of massage. It can also be very helpful in decreasing anxiety and depression.
Think massage therapy sounds like a great way to handle pain and other symptoms naturally? Call Wesely Family Chiropractic PC in Glen Ellyn, IL, at (630) 790-3335 and schedule an appointment today. Take advantage of the many benefits of massage therapy!