Causes of Neck Pain
You can develop neck pain from a chronic medical condition like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. You can also experience sudden neck pain due to a sports injury or vehicular accident. Whiplash is a common cause of neck pain which can develop due to an auto accident. It’s caused by your neck and head being suddenly jerked around from the impact.
Consequences of Neck Pain
Neck pain can cause other problems too. You may have difficulty turning your head, which can cause problems at work or at school. Neck pain can also cause pain in other areas, including your head, shoulders, and arms. Pain can be accompanied by numbness in your arms.
Simple Tips You Can Try at Home To Relieve Neck Pain
For mild, occasional neck pain, you can try some simple home remedies to get relief, including:
- Applying ice and heat to your neck for 15 minutes several times daily
- Resting and relaxing your neck
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Wearing a soft neck collar to help support your neck and head
You can also try some gentle neck exercises to help prevent stiffness and increase flexibility. You should:
- Gently tilt your head from side to side
- Roll your shoulders
- Gently rotate your neck in both directions
- Gently bend your neck toward your chest
Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain
For moderate to severe neck pain, or if your neck pain is increasing, it’s time to visit your chiropractor. There are several treatment options your chiropractor may recommend, including:
- Manipulation, by applying gentle pressure to affected areas to help realign structures
- Therapeutic massage, by applying gentle movements and pressure to relax muscles, tendons, and ligaments
- Electrical Stimulation, by applying slight electrical pulses to affected areas to relax muscles
Goals of Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain
Chiropractic treatment for neck pain offers important benefits. When you seek out chiropractic neck pain treatment, you can expect:
- Reduced pain
- Released tension
- Decreased swelling
- Improved blood flow and healing
- Improved range-of-motion and flexibility
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the causes and chiropractic treatment of neck pain, talk with the experts. Call Dr. Mark Wesely and Dr. Michelle Wesely at Wesely Family Chiropractic in Glen Ellyn, IL. You can reach them in the office by calling (630)790-3335, so call today.